Essential Technical Writing
In this course, you learn about and practice essential technical writing skills such as adapting documents for specific audiences; formatting with headings, lists, notices, highlighting, tables and images; crafting a simple readable, engaging writing style; adding images and tables to your documents; cross-referencing images, tables, and related information; and creating and including standard content for reports and instructions.
Back to the course catalog
In this course, you:
- describe the audience (and its type) for your technical documents, and adapt content and writing style that specific audience
- work over your rough draft to achieve a simple readable, engaging writing style
- create meaningful, task-oriented headings in your documents
- when necessary, format text with bulleted and numbered lists
- add properly formatted and positioned images and tables with titles, captions, and labels as necessary
- in instructions, use notices for situations involving danger to people, minor nonfatal injury to people, damage to equipment or data, failure of the procedure, or emphasis or exceptions
- use industry-standard highlighting (bold, italics, alternate font, or color) according to a highlighting scheme that you construct or one that is required
- write introductions to instructions and reports with standard expected content
- include standard expected components of reports, formatted properly
You use links, videos and transcripts of those videos to learn these tasks, e-mail your instructor when you have questions, and send your work to the instructor for review.
Example units from this course:
Instructions writing project guide
Technical writing job posts indeed.com August 2022 excerpt (popup). Possibly $35,000 per month is a typo.
Course cost: McMurrey Associates $175 USD. No other purchases necessary.
Here are the policies for this course:
- You have 93 days to complete the units of this course.
- You are welcome to work ahead of the schedule you see on your schedule page for this course. If you foresee needing extra time, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can choose whether to take this course for a letter grade or pass–fail.
- No refunds will be granted after the third day that you have access to this course.
- Unless results are automatic, your instructor will review, comment on, and return your work within three days of receipt. Expect an e-mail confirmation that your instructor has received your work.
- Your instructor is available many hours per week to answer your questions and provide other help. Setting up an appointment works best.
- The topics in this course are the most important at beginning and intermediate levels. You can request units on other topics; your instructor will consider adding them.
- Your instructor will gladly provide you with a letter describing the quality of your work in this course.
- Your instructor will make reasonable efforts to ensure your success in this course but can make no guarantees concerning your writing or career success outside of this course.
Information and programs provided by email@example.com.