The IBM Years
Recovering . . .
The ACC Years
The Effects of ACC
- Cruising for Nontextual
Possibilities. Article in Communicator: Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators, spring 2022.
- 11 years in publications for new products at IBM Corporation as writer
and editor. Freelance writing, online-help authoring, HTML work, indexing, and editing for Dell, Tivoli, Texas Department of the American Legion, and individuals.
- 30 years as full- and part-time instructor in writing courses at the University of Texas at Austin, Baker University in Kansas, Austin Community College, and IBM Corporation and its suppliers.
- Writing-skills seminar presenter for IBM Corporation, Analysts International Corporation, Century Design, Wayne Dresser, Texas Natural Resources
Conservation Commission, Tivoli Systems, Broadjump.com, Texas Department of Health, Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Texas Bureau of Radiation Control, Texas Department of Human Services, Samsung Austin Semiconductor.
- Author of Processes in Technical Writing (Macmillan 1988); with M. Sue Campman, co-author of Writing Fundamentals (Macmillan, 1985); with David Beer, co-author of Guide to Writing as an Engineer (Wiley, 2008–2018); author of Power Tools for Technical Communication (Heinle, 2001); author of a free online textbook in technical writing available on the web.
- Instructor and former department chair: Business Government & Technical Communications Program at Austin Community College, teaching courses in technical writing, online and traditional hardcopy documentation of software and hardware computer information.
- Developer of online writing courses presented over the World Wide Web,
Online Help and PDFs with MadCap Flare
Technical Publishing with Adobe FrameMaker
Training Videos (Camtasia): Technical Writers
Git/GitHub/Markdown for Technical Writers
Web-Based Content Management (Drupal)
XML for Structured Authoring (oXygen)
DITA for Structured Authoring (oXygen or Heretto)
- Founder and former coordinator of Austin Community College's Webmaster Certificate Program.
I still retain a strong interest in literature:
Contact me at email@example.com